A few of the things we are packing in our carry on
We are planning our vacation and I am getting some things together to keep us entertained, not only on the airplane, but also during our down time at the hotel. I think the hardest thing for kids on vacation is that they miss their toys, so we have to have entertaining and lightweight things for the kiddos to do all vacation long.
Here are some of the things my five year old and I put together this afternoon for our carry-on.
1. Spot It! - One of our favorite family games!
2. UNO - Another favorite!
3. Crayons and Pencils
4. Doodling Sheets - I printed these adorable doodle sheets from Artful Adventures.
4. Dogs at Work Coloring Book by Michelle Nelson - Thank goodness it is small. Every coloring book I looked at at the store is over $7.00 and has a gazillion pages! This coloring book isn't too big, teachers about jobs, and also has collector cards for us to play with and read on the plane.
5. Usborne Activity Cards: 100 Things for Little Children to do on a Trip - These cards are reusable and come with a marker and eraser. My son hasn't played with these before so they will all be a "surprise" for him.
6. iPad - Games, TV shows, and movies! After full days at the beach we definitely need the kids to be able to sit down and relax with some technology. The condo TV never has the stuff they like, so thank goodness for iTunes!
7. Super Hero Figures - They are small enough that we can bring a few with us and it will give the boys something to play with in the condo.
8. Sunglasses and Hats - We have to be prepared for the sun right when we get off of the plane!
9. Beach Bump Game - I printed this game out HERE. I also packed dice for the game.
10. Food - Baby food and utensils, snacks (goldfish, pretzels, bananas), some sort of candy for landing (usually M&Ms) and cups (empty of course until we buy something at the airport)
10. Patience - I usually don't pack enough of this!
Oh! And of course BOOKS! Paperback are the best because they are lightweight! My son has a new favorite book right now that is thick and heavy. I have a feeling it will be packed in our suitcase rather than our carry on, but you never know!
One of the books I remember reading when I was little is We're Taking an Airplane Trip by Dinah L. Moche . The copy of this book that I have says it cost $1.25. This shows how old this book is, and out of date considering how much airline travel has changed since I was little. No matter how outdated it is though, it is such a fun book!
In We're Taking An Airplane Trip two young children fly on a plane by themselves to visit their grandparents. It follows the children through security, to the plane, and off of the plane. The pictures show different areas of the plane and cockpit and even label them. I remember loving the pictures when I was little and wishing that we flew on an airplane the same size so we could watch a movie just like the kids did!
I asked my mom to bring this book over this week so I could read it with the boys before we go on our trip. My three year old loved the picture of the jumbo jet. He pointed out that the diagram of the airplane doesn't have a roof. Yes, that would look strange to a three year old...just one more thing to point out while reading!
There are many airplane books that you can read before going on your own airplane trip, I just find it so much more enjoyable to share books that I read when I was little!